RSS

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Mishti Doi

The extremely popular Bengali mishti doi is a very thick cake-like yogurt sweetened with sugar or gur and allowed to ferment in an earthen pot.

One of my defining principles in the kitchen is to keep things simple, and when a relative passed on this extremely quick and easy treat I added it to my repertoire instantly. Of course, you could go the traditional way and boil the milk, set the curds etc to make it, but this simple recipe cuts out all the fuss and achieves almost identical results. I say almost because I've never tasted it, mine or the original, milk products being something of a no-no for me. But, every Bengali I have ever served it to has instantly fallen in love with it. Dont start counting calories though!!

The following is the recipe for the traditional mishti doi. Be careful not to overbake, it can get dry. If you want a slight change, add some powdered elaichi to it before baking or garnish with pistachios, almonds and saffron strands while serving!

Mishti doi (dahi)
Serves about 4 people

1 tin condensed milk
3-4 heaped tblsp. yogurt (depending on taste)

Mix the above ingredients together in your favorite baking pan. Bake in a 350 deg F oven for 15-20 mins (or until the sides separate from the pan). Serve cold.

7 comments:

Bouncing-Bubble said...

Hey, no sugar needed? grrreat news for me then... will surely try this!

Smita said...

Thats some quick recipe.

I guess if we try it with milk we will have to add sugar, what say???

Am for sure gonna try this and serve it to my hubby as am counting calories :D

couchpapaya said...

bubbles, smita - i couldnt even begin to tell u how much sugar to dahi is needed when making with milk so i wont try. condensed milk ka sweetness is ample enuff for this .... enjoy :)

Angel's Flight said...

YUmmmmm!!!

But I am counting calories....:(

Hell one time wont hurt na?? lolz

Ava said...

bubbles.. do you have any idea how much sugar condensed milk has? hehe.. who wrote this btw? batana mushkil ho raha hai..

anyway.. gorgeous recipe.. just the way i like it.

couchpapaya said...

it was me, sorry forgot the name doesnt show up here ...

S.. Diva said...

sounds so easy.. will try :)